Saturday, December 08, 2012

New Poetry by Donal Mahoney










Wooden Anniversary

She uncradles the phone with a lyric
for someone who might be calling
if I weren't calling again from work,

who would be calling, she says,
if five years ago I hadn't
promised her me.

Five years ago she believed me
and now she has children, four,
a house, my calls each noon.

Five years ago she lied to herself
as I napped on her parents' porch,
silent yet screaming the truth.


- Donal Mahoney 2012


Silver Anniversary

There beyond the shrub
the sun medallions on the grass
around a python and boar,
the python winding.
Through binoculars I see
the python work so slow.
The boar now knows
what I learned long ago.
To go this way
takes years.


- Donal Mahoney 2012


Donal Mahoney has had work published in various print and electronic publications in North America, Europe, Asia and Africa.
Some of his earliest work can be found at http://booksonblog12.blogspot.com/



No comments: