Thursday, August 28, 2014

New Poetry by Michele Seminara








Ultrasound

They used to be joyful 
the pictures of babies 
used to pertain to me.
But today my belly is swollen with portent 
and I note with unease
that my haruspex is a man. 

Female seers are reserved for life
and I am an obedient bag of death, 
viscera spread on the gritty screen
waiting to be read.

The ancient technician gives no indication;
although he seems a little kinder 
on the way out than 
on the way in...

Later  the children rolling 
like pups in the ocean of my bed 
we point at the funny photos 
of mummy's insides and say  look,
it's those black spots that are the problem.


- Michele Seminara 2014


Michele Seminara is a poet and yoga teacher from Sydney. Her writing has appeared in publications such as BluepepperTincture JournalRegime andVerity La. She is also a poetry reader for Verity La, as well as being the journal’s incoming managing editor.  She blogs at http://micheleseminara.wordpress.com/ and is on twitter @SeminaraMichele

No comments: