Monday, July 10, 2023

Bluepepper Bids Farewell


 After eighteen long and fruitful years it is time to pull down the shutters on Bluepepper. It hasn't been an easy decision to make, but it has been a long time coming and, after a succession of less than savoury exchanges with members of the poetry fraternity, I decided I no longer had the energy or inclination to contine administering the site. 
 As many editors will tell you with a wistful sigh, the tone of much of the discourse on social media is trending downwards at a rapid rate. Which isn't to say I haven't relished the opportunity to make contact with so many wonderful writers and poets from all over the globe. It is just that the cons are starting to nip at the heels of the pros and I want to quit while I'm still ahead.
 There are all sorts of explanations for this erosion of manners, and I won't dwell on the issue as I am no sociologist. In the case of Bluepepper I believe part of the explanation may lie in the fact that we have been around so long and gained such an international following that in certain eyes we have taken on all the trappings of an institution with all the apparent limitless resources of an institution. This perception seems to have triggered the iconoclast in a certain type of poet and I don't see that situation improving any time soon. 
 Were I a part of a loyal and dedicated team things might be different. But since the launch of Bluepepper back in October 2005, Bluepepper has been the solitary enterprise of a rather solitary individual who simply wanted to reach out and provide a safe space where disparate voices could find a home. I believe I have achieved that.
 However, being a lone operator meant that, while I could lap up all the kind words and encouragement like a thirsty kitten, there was also no-one to share the burden when things became increasingly challenging. So, here we find ourselves and I am sad but relieved the right decision has been made.
 There are way too many poets to thank for having helped make Bluepepper what it is. Their kindness and support will live with me always. I hope that people continue to visit the site and discover the wonderful array of talent on show here. The site will remain open in perpetuity, along with the comment section which I will free of my administrative duties, so be careful in choosing your words.
 Please be kind to each other, and most importantly stay safe.

 - Justin Lowe (10/07/2023)

17 comments:

Doug Holder said...

I am sorry to hear this, ..it is a changing landscape, indeed

jim said...

This is a very great pity. You were one of the first people to give me a ago - I will always treasure the generous acceptance you gave to me. Thanks for everything Justin, and yes, we go on, against the flow!

Rob said...

Cheers, Justine. 18 years is a long time. Yours has been a great contribution to the 'poetry with bite’. Thank you for publishing my poems here. Much appreciated.

William G. Davies Jr. said...

May God bless you. Thank you my friend.

Jeanne Julian said...

Wow, what a shame. But after 18 years at a labor of love, and solo, one could imagine you do need a break, whether from the incivility of “the poetry fraternity” or otherwise. Best wishes.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Bluepepper, and you'll be missed - Anita Howard, Ireland.

Anonymous said...

Strength fo your arm and mind in whatever comes next, Justin!

Brooks said...

Justin,
Thank you for 18 years of devotion and supporting poetry and poets. Since I discovered Blue Pepper 8 years ago, I've counted it among the best journals. I'm honored you allowed my work a voice here. Thank you for giving me a safe place for my voice. Stay healthy, happy, safe, and know you and your work are loved.

Karlo Sevilla said...

This is sad. Still, it was an amazing long run of wonderful poetry on the pages of Bluepepper. And thank you, Justine, for giving a home to two of my poems. Always take care and all the best to you and your endeavors.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear this, Justin. Thank you so much for the beautiful poetry, and for your years of dedication and generosity in supporting poets through Bluepepper.

Robert Nisbet said...

I'm very sorry to hear of this, Justin, having very much enjoyed my few appearances in Bluepeper and reading your fine journal. Every good wish on whatever new roads you travel -and thank you for your efforts and contribution.

Zebulon said...

How sad! I'm sorry to hear that you've been bitten by poets it seems, when just doing the literary world such a service as you have. Bluepepper will always have a special place in my heart, thank you for all of the time you've dedicated to this endeavor, and to lifting up so many poets' work.

k.d. jospe said...

Dear Justin, I so appreciate all you have brought to us all. It is hard to think that the Bluepepper will no longer be... Your heartfelt farewell plays with such thoughtful, poignant strokes. I don't know if there is a way to contact you personally to thank you for including me on so many times. I hope you will see this message and feel the heartfuls of appreciation behind it.
Kitty Jospé

Justin Lowe said...

Thank you Kitty and thank you everyone for your kind comments. I do miss the interaction with you wonderful people, but the time had come. Take care.

Robbie Coburn said...

Sad and sorry to hear it is the end of Bluepepper, Justin.
Thank you so much for all you’ve done for poetry through the journal and your tireless support of poets.
Personally, there are no adequate words to express how grateful I am that we crossed paths through this art-form, and for your kindness towards myself and my work.
I am also so sorry the journal had to end because of a lack of respect and decency towards you and the amazing work you do.
You’re one of the best ones. The world needs more kind souls like you.
Robbie

Justin Lowe said...

Thank you Robbie. That means the world to me.

Anonymous said...

I just discovered this news and I'm very saddened. Just the other day, I was reading about a poet being "cancelled." Something is happening to the poetry, literary world and I'm not sure its heading in the right direction. Thank you for giving me a place in Bluepepper and for all that you have done, in a positive sense, to poetry.

Isabelle