Tuesday, December 11, 2007

New Poetry by Phillip A Ellis











Turn the Page

I fell asleep in the arms of my god,
and woke in those of a burnt-out body
by the banks of a roiling river.

I keep dreaming I’m happy, sane again,
but the path veered away
and the fords fell away
as scales from both eyes
in an ugly miracle,
and I’m sick of ugliness and silence
whilst, within, cacophony.

And the worst thing is, I can’t remember
what it’s like asleep in the arms of a god,
free from the dregs of fear, and drugspun static.

Turn the page,
and forget me:
I dare you to....


- Phillip A Ellis 2007


Phillip A. Ellis is a poet and scholar living on the eastern coast of Australia. His first concordance, of the poetry of Donald Wandrei, is due for publication by Hippocampus Press, and he has a free e-chapbook of poetry, Morning Light downloadable from http://www.geocities.com/phillipellis01/broadsheets.html and he has another chapbook, Bitter Honey, available for purchase from ebooksonthe.net as well. He will be studying English at Honours level through the University of New England, Armidale, over 2008 and 2009.

1 comment:

Alia Michelle said...

I have wanted to try and contact you for many years. This is not how I would have chosen, I wish I had another way of contacting you, but my name is Alia, do you remember me? from 1989ish I guess? The San Bernadino Mountains?

My email is aliamichelle@gmail.com and I really hope to hear from you. I am very happy to see your art is so successful. It was always clear to me that you were a brilliant person, and resilient.