Monday, February 22, 2021

New Poetry by James Diaz










Poem in which my mother cuts off all her hair, 
asks for 150 dollars 

See this picture here
it's a wounded deer, it's a scoliosis ghost
sat in wheelchair 
under ER fluorescent light 
I swear I never came from there
but I did 
I did

it's her lamentation - I know - for her mother 
her sackcloth and ashes 

I imagine how she held the scissors 
until my father relented and took them in his hands
and cut it all away;

the pain

it's still there 

only the hair is gone

and her mother 

there's nothing sadder than knowing 
that you can't really fix any of this

how grief, like Samson’s strength, 
was never in the hair

it was just there
just there.


- © James Diaz 2021


James Diaz is the author of This Someone I Call Stranger (Indolent Books, 2018) and Poetic Disasters (forthcoming, Alien Buddha Press, 2021,) as well as the founding Editor of Anti-Heroin Chic. Their work has appeared most recently in Cobra Milk Mag, Bear Creek Gazette and Resurrection Mag. They live in a far too cold and snowy upstate New York, where they are waiting patiently for the Spring. 

No comments: