Thursday, November 18, 2021

New Poetry by Tony Hughes

Till the Wind calls the Sea
(The Twelve Stations of the Grief) 

The first four months 

To know love
is to not have love.
  
I can’t feel anything:
hunger for food
thirst for drink
tired for sleeping
one foot step to the next
one after the other 
how do you live 
without your lover’s 
breath on your skin?

You live waiting for the veil to lift 
for the wave to stop crashing 
for the window to stop opening 
for this mad mantra 
these tumbling 
thoughts one 
after each other 
to last 
longer 

The second four months 

I don’t hear 
your name anymore 

I call it out
CASSANDRA 
three times I call 
I can hear it again  
it sounds so good 
I run to it 
I try to hold it 
to  touch it 
to smell it
to taste it
to eat it 
to sleep
with it 

What else 
am I meant to do 
with this 
elegiac 
silence 

I call your name
again and again
Into the
fucking 
elegiac air                                                 

time wins 
time always
wins 
it cant find 
land anywhere 
the air is too solid 

CASSANDRA 
has been
atomised












more months pass 

Ghosts are thoughts 
thoughts are ghosts 
dreams are real 
you visit four times
 
I say its ok 
my succubus 
you can stay 
you say no 
you whisper 
I have to go 
the wind calls 
the sea 

You point to the light 
from across the river 
the light that lasts longer 
than the oldest tree  

that’s where
I’ll be waiting
for you 

where the wind 
calls the sea 

This twelfth month

Everyone loves Yoko now
just another cycling thought
 
I peddle into Sydney park 
carving layers from the 
peppery skin of my grief

Under a big blue blanket sky
in the pretty city
I scratch this self awake 
it is time to live again 

Peddling my thoughts 
into Sydney park
that’s a big hill 
up to the skate bowl
I wish my wish
could be here
where the dogs
run free
chasing poems
with me 

Till the wind 
calls the sea


- © Tony Hughes 2021


Tony Hughes is an Australian actor and singer. As an actor, he starred in The Lost Islands (1976), Chopper Squad (1977–1979) and the film adaptation of Puberty Blues (1981). As a singer he has fronted Bellydance and King Tide. (Courtesy of Wikipedia). Cassanadra Woodburne, the CASSANDRA of this poem, was Toný's life partner and best friend and mother to their two wonderful children, Georgia and Eddy. She passed away on 22nd November 2020 after a long and courageous struggle with cancer. The photo was taken at Era Beach where Cassandra's parents own a shack.

No comments: