Saturday, November 16, 2013

New Poetry by Jonathan Hadwen









The Spring

the printer flutters, deals its cards
there is a machine 
inside the machine
it eats with a spinning brush

something is starting
        lifting from a hill
                like mad brothers
                        bird-envious and proud 

I could lift from here
        a word-engine sputtering
                into the sky

summer starts
      on the spring of an ancient clock
            the oldest thing ever wound


- Jonathan Hadwen 2013



One for Li Po

My ritual
     is to sit on the porch with a beer 
          when I get home from work
all the windows open
     the door propped open
          as I wait for the house to cool
a breeze at my toes
     sometimes beside me
          the drunken moon. 



- Jonathan Hadwen 2013


Jonathan Hadwen is a Brisbane poet.  He was recently named runner-up in the Thomas Shapcott Poetry Prize for an unpublished manuscript.


No comments: