Saturday, October 10, 2020

New Poetry by Zebulon Huset


 







Like Candy Cane Spirals
 
Only not at all. I'm sorry.
That was just a familiar image 
of two unlike things
combining congruously, 
and I'm sure
I stole the image
inadvertently
with some miracle of 
cryptomnesia
when I looked over
and saw the curl of hair 
fit so perfectly 
around your ear,
every twitch of head
tickling lobe, 
and I have no tangible reason
to connect that image 
of your hair 
wrapped 
around your ear
and us lying in bed,
spooned effortlessly
with my scarred, 
beaten knees slipped
into the soft cavities
that reside behind yours,
except to consider
the curve of white and red
in the hook of a candy cane.


- © Zebulon Huset 2020


Zebulon Huset is a teacher, writer and photographer living in San Diego. His writing has recently appeared in Bluepepper, Meridian, The Southern Review, Fence, Rosebud, Atlanta Review & Texas Review among others. He publishes the writing blog Notebooking Daily, edits the journal Coastal Shelf, and recommends literary journals at TheSubmissionWizard.com.

No comments: