Thursday, April 14, 2022

New Poetry by Darcy Mueller










Windows 

This room has no windows 
No above no below 
A single bulb dangles lazily 
Casing shadows on your face 
As it meets my eye 
But all I want is a window 
To let in the sky 
This room has only the tick of a clock 
Hung upon the wall 
There are no syllables uttered 
To break its constant dull 
But I want a window 
So I may feel the breeze 
This room has a chair 
In which neither of us sit 
To offer it to the other 
A small but honest gift 
But I just want a window 
To see the passers by 
Your voice, it has a stutter 
As you slowly walk near 
Though you always speak so clearly
These words, I cannot hear 
But I just want a window 
So it may be opened to the sounds 
And with noise of city cars 
May drown this quiet around 
Your hand it has a tremble 
And does not reach for mine 
It looks for something safe to touch 
Then fiddles with the time 
But I only want a window 
So I may breathe the air 
This room now has a silence 
With the clock now in your hands 
And this lonely silence 
To the walls expands 
Oh how I want a window 
So I may hear the sounds 
This room has no chair now 
As you sink into it slow 
My weary feet are aching 
But dont know where to go 
I wish for a window 
So I may sit upon the roll 
In a moment of rest 
Could my feet finally be still 
This room has a door 
That’s been opened but a foot 
But light seeps through it 
So I go and take a look 
I do not need a window 
To see the world outside 
For with this opened door 
The room now comes to light 
This room has a boy 
Who sits upon a chair 
When I look back at him 
He will not return my stare 
He does not want a window 
I did not know before 
That he does not want to see 
The outer world's allure 
This room has an emptiness 
As he does not answer my calls 
My voice floats around the room 
With naught to catch it when it falls 
But I do need a window 
In all the rooms I see 
I do need a window so that I may be free 
That room has a boy 
And he is all alone 
For I am forced to leave him 
I know I must go 
He will have no window 
And therein lies the shock 
For I have known him for many years 
But he is not the boy I thought 
So I shut the door behind me to leave him in the dark 
One lightbulb to guide him 
It nearly breaks my heart
But I must have a window 
For the world I want to see 
And if he will have no window 
Does he not wish to be free? 


- © Darcy Mueller 2022


Darcy Mueller is a second year student at Tufts University studying History and Italian who greatly enjoys writing in her free time. She is originally from Jackson Wyoming where she lives with her parents, two brothers, and sister.

No comments: