Monday, April 04, 2022

New Poetry by Bradford Middleton










A Little Bit Longer

A miraculous arrival has come along and caused a
Massive shift around in mind and room as at last
This place feels almost like home.  It’s not a woman,
Not even a new friend but a couch, beautiful and
Elegant it straddles the space in front of my window
And, often, since Friday night have I slept on it,
Feeling it sooth my aching body after years of
Sleeping essentially on my floor.  I look at it now
With a fondness usually reserved for a new lover
As it taunts me, it’s only 8:27 you’ve got to wait a
Few more hours yet.  This morning I woke and
Couldn’t bring myself to leave its warm confines
As I rolled over a few more times, whispering to
Myself, just a little bit longer.  Tomorrow will
Almost certainly be the same as at last I find it
Easy to get to sleep without the aid of drinking
Myself to the brink of death on way too many
Nights.  At last, a good nights’ rest.


- © Bradford Middleton 2022


Bradford Middleton lives in Brighton on the UK’s south coast.  He began writing poetry fifteen years ago when he first landed here knowing no one and with no money he holed-up and did it merely for something to do.  He’s since had four, sold-out, chapbooks of his poetry published as well as seeing his work feature in the likes of the Chiron Review, Rusty Truck, New Reader Magazine, Paper & Ink Zine and the Mad Swirl.  Follow him on Twitter @BradfordMiddle5.

No comments: