Thursday, August 18, 2022

New Poetry by Rob Schackne










Bird Dreams

I’m not alone, no 
I seek my birdness 
as the crows observe 
where I was looking 
but I’m learning 
what it is to want 
to cry for all my needs 

It turns me inside out 
it sits me upon the sign 
at the crossroads 
the telephone wires 
at the scarecrows 
the twisted miles 
where I have to go 

I look for a tree 
and avoid the tree 
the tribe looks at me 
they praise my wings 
they shout loudly 
at my rough flight 
it's cross to cross 

I go the path they go 
nightly they tap my head 
I go underneath a wing 
I will sleep my turn 
I will see a little 
look out for dreams 
they watch for raptors


- © Rob Schackne 2022


Rob Schackne was born in New York and he lived in many countries before settling in Australia in the 1970s. He’s a retired teacher – he taught in China for 15 years – and he now lives in central Victoria. His poems have been published in many magazines both paper and electronic. His book “A Chance of Seasons”, a Pocket Poet book in the Flying Island Books series, was published in late 2017. It fits very well in the back-pocket. When he’s not writing, he likes taking photographs. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done, brother Rob!