Sunday, February 26, 2023

New Poetry by Nathaniel Sverlow










the bollard

there’s a bollard
just outside
my window

and it’s bright
as hell

and I can’t help
looking at it
as I write

I don’t remember
it being
so bright

the landlord
must have replaced
the bulb
with uranium

I fidget
with the blinds
so that a slat
might cover it

but no matter
how I place them,
they always swing
back into place

and the bollard
shines
through the madness,
mocking me
with its radioactivity

I finally give up
and close the blinds

but somehow
the bollard
shines even brighter
in my mind

I am swallowed
by white light

vaporized
in the pre-dawn quiet

victimized
by life’s obscene,
capricious mechanism

I think
I’ll take a bat
to that damn bollard

dance atop its shards
and around its twisted frame
dance in my newfound darkness

or at least complain
to the front office

let them know
they dropped a bomb
outside my window

and I don’t
appreciate it


- © Nathaniel Sverlow 2023


Nathaniel Sverlow is a freelance writer of poetry and prose. He currently resides in the Sacramento area with two cats, one incredibly supportive wife, and a rambunctious son. His previous publishing credits include Typehouse Literary Magazine, Black Fox Literary Magazine, and Black Coffee Review. He has also written two poetry books and one prose collection: The Blue Flame of My Beating Heart (2020), Heaven is a Bar with Patio Seating (2021), and The Culmination of Egotism (2022).


 

 

No comments: