Thursday, May 04, 2023

New Poetry by Jason Melvin










Capture

for my fortieth birthday
Mom made me a photo book
me and Dad mostly
or was the intent
so few shots to choose from
certainly not enough to fill a book

toddler-me asleep on his lap
him with his 70’s haircut
white t-shirt, jeans, short beard
the healthy image of him
strong, the way I remember him

a few from that last Florida vacation
10-year-old me
towhead bowl cut, Mickey Mouse T-shirt

the one where he’s 37
looks 57
him and his two boys
capture it while you can
at the start of his treatments

None of him at my wedding
dancing with my wife 
none of him with my children
them on his knee
pulling at his beard

all we have is glossy paper
and so little of that
I’d love to hear his voice
but no one ever captured it


- © Jason Melvin 2023


Jason Melvin is a father, husband, grandfather, and metals processing center supervisor, who lives just north of Pittsburgh. He is a later-in-life storyteller, having first published in 2020. His work has recently appeared in Roi Faineant, Zero Readers, Jake, Olney, Punk Noir and others. His poems were nominated for Pushcarts by Bullshit Lit and Outcast. His first chapbook, Wrong Things, is available courtesy of Bullshit Lit. He can be found on Twitter @Jason5Melvin, Instagram @JasonMelvin5 and on his website at www.jasonmelvinwords.weebly.com.

 

 

 

 

No comments: