Wednesday, March 25, 2020

New Poetry by Sam Rose










Dials

I try to switch off cancer for the day, turn
the dial from recurrence to remission admit

one to a movie theatre in my head that shuts
out all possibility of an operating theatre shuts

out the future but it is only for short moments
that I can forget and only with others to distract

me it all slips out of me when I’m alone like I wish
the whole thing would - the essence of me sliding

out of this body and into the air I lose my grip when
no-one is looking I remember my lungs are there


- © Sam Rose 2020


Sam Rose is a writer from Northamptonshire, England and is the editor of Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine. Her work has appeared in Barely South Review, Scarlet Leaf Review, Rat’s Ass Review, The Bitchin’ Kitsch, Haiku Journal, and others. She is a three times cancer survivor and is studying for her PhD, researching the role of poetry in psycho-oncology. Find her at her website https://www.writersam.co.uk and on Twitter @writersamr.


No comments: