Tuesday, March 28, 2023

New Poetry by Donna Dallas










Demons Everywhere 

One was just breathing into my hair
as I stood in the mirror
listening to its panting breath

Outside they squat in droves 
wait for a slip
blood red eyes like slits 
peer in my window

I’m weak
any day I will falter
as they cackle endlessly
push the bottle across the table 
so it sits beckoning

I always preferred bourbon 
I grip the cap 
as if I could choke it
push it back into air
silence 

Another night passes
though I’m no better than yesterday 
neither are they


- © Donna Dallas 2023


Donna's work has recently appeared in The Opiate, Beatnik Cowboy, Tribes, Horror Sleaze Trash and Fevers of the Mind.  She is the author of Death Sisters, her legacy novel, published by Alien Buddha Press. Her first chapbook, Smoke and Mirrors, launched in 2022 with New York Quarterly. Donna serves on the editorial team of NYQ.

No comments: