Monday, March 06, 2023

New Poetry by Edward Lee










So Very Much 

You have become
an almost visible invisibility
in my life, a poltergeist
of sorts, I suppose,
moving objects
that remind me of you
into my path, leaving them
on my desk so
I might see their shape
first thing in the morning
as I sit down
to write you away
for a handful of hours;
how I gently move them
to one side, slightly
out of sight, the tips
of my fingers white
with the effort of expelling
little effort least
I damage these old items
newly offered.

I hear your voice too,
when my mind wanders,
your familiar words of love
echoing gently inside my skull,
trembling down to my silent heart.

You are gone,
and yet not gone,
leaving me to move on
with no hope
of moving on,
all of you
still alive,
so very much alive,
around me.


- © Edward Lee 2023


Edward Lee's poetry, short stories, non-fiction and photography have been published in magazines in Ireland, England and America, including The Stinging Fly, Skylight 47, Acumen, The Blue Nib and Poetry Wales.  His play ‘Wall’ received a rehearsed reading as part of Druid Theatre’s Druid Debuts 2020. He also makes musical noise under the names Ayahuasca Collective, Orson Carroll, Lego Figures Fighting, and Pale Blond Boy. His blog/website can be found at https://edwardmlee.wordpress.com

 

No comments: