Monday, July 25, 2022

New Poetry by Kenneth Pobo










Her Email Says "How Are You?”

In my thirties I kept getting
things done, fixing the undone,
more than a little done in.  I had
a drive to succeed, to please
others who shared that drive. 
By forty I drove myself over
a mental cliff. 

Now, in my late sixties, I don’t
recognize who I was then.  I sit
ön the porch with my husband.
If we see a bluebird,
that’s quite a successful day. 
I’m disturbed not by papers
that ache for attention but
by a truck’s thud breaking the calm. 
That passes and a pink hollyhock
starts to puff open.  The sky
is usually blue until clouds rush
above leafy trees.  


- © Kenneth Pobo 2022


Kenneth Pobo (he/him) is the author of twenty-one chapbooks and nine full-length collections.  Recent books include Bend of Quiet (Blue Light Press), Loplop in a Red City (Circling Rivers), and Lilac And Sawdust (Meadowlark Press). His work has appeared in  Asheville Literary Review, Cordite, Brittle Star, Washington Square Review, Mudfish, Hawaii Review, and elsewhere.

1 comment:

poetmarilyn@gmail.com said...

Wonderful poem! Best way to calm my spirit.